[ndnSIM] Creating a custom cache-replacement policy in CS?

John Baugh jpbaugh at umich.edu
Sat Oct 22 19:51:59 PDT 2016

Greetings all,

So here's the situation:

Since the NFD Content Store appears to not be flexible with cache
replacement policies, I am going to steer away from it.

However, when I look at the Old Content Store, I only see variations of the
Simple content stores (LRU, FIFO, LFU, RANDOM, NoCache)

Would there be a way to do one or all of the following, and if so, how?:

   - Create another policy entirely and have the SetOldContentStore member
   function recognize it?
   - Extend (perhaps using inheritance or aggregation) the current "Content
   Store" class in a meaningful way, and have additional functionality be
   recognized / used properly by the rest of the system?

Much of my research and data collection is going to rely on my ability to
modify the CS to behave differently.  Specifically, I'm working with cache
pollution detection and mitigation - so it'd also be nice if I could know
if the actual "contents" of the content store can be printed?  I saw "hits
and misses" printed with some of the scenarios, but didn't see actual
"contents".  Even if they're rather "dummy" contents, it'd be fine I
suspect.

I haven't been working with this long, so please be patient with me.  I
just uninstalled openSUSE and installed Ubuntu 16.04 last weekend to make
ndnSIM work.  I just want to make sure I don't have too many "false starts"
and problems and can at least travel in the right direction.

Thanks a ton,

John P. Baugh, M.Sc.
Nervous, yet optimistic PhD Candidate