[ndnSIM] Using ndn::Face in ndnSIM environment.

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Thu Oct 20 16:36:47 PDT 2016

Hi Anil

The technical difference between using one face or two faces is whether a piece of code would possibly receive packets from another piece of code.
Although ndn-cxx Face has an “internal FIB” and an “internal PIT”, it is not a forwarder and does not forward packets internally between different calling modules.

Suppose there are two application modules using ndn-cxx Face(s); note that I’m not specifying whether these two modules belong to the same “application” or not because the definition of “application” can be ambiguous. The first module is a producer which sets an InterestFilter for prefix /A, and the second module is a consumer that expresses an Interest for prefix /A/1.
If these two modules are using the same ndn-cxx Face, the Interest from the consumer module will not reach the producer module; if they use different ndn-cxx Faces, the Interest from the consumer module will reach the producer module.

Yours, Junxiao