[ndnSIM] StartApplication and StopApplication

Alex Afanasyev aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Sun Nov 20 20:33:08 PST 2016

> On Nov 20, 2016, at 7:43 PM, John Baugh <jpbaugh at umich.edu> wrote:
>
> Greetings folks,
>
> In the ns3::ndn::App class, there are two virtual void methods, StartApplication and StopApplication that have some slightly ambiguous documentation in
>
> http://ndnsim.net/2.1/doxygen/classns3_1_1ndn_1_1App.html#a20fd3ef630b6d05dc139911d1ef1b17f <http://ndnsim.net/2.1/doxygen/classns3_1_1ndn_1_1App.html#a20fd3ef630b6d05dc139911d1ef1b17f>
>
> When the documentation says:
>
> "Method that is called at the time specified by Start"
>

> Does this refer to ns3::ApplicationContainer's Start method (and likewise Stop for the ns3::ApplicationContainer's Stop method)?
>
> I come to that conclusion based on the example in:
> http://ndnsim.net/2.1/guide-to-simulate-real-apps.html <http://ndnsim.net/2.1/guide-to-simulate-real-apps.html>
>
> Where we have:
>
> ndn::AppHelper appHelper("RealAppStarter");
>   appHelper.Install(node)
>     .Start(Seconds(6.5));
>
> So, I assume since Install on AppHelper returns an ns3::ApplicationContainer, that this is the start and stop referred to?

Hi John,

Yes, you're exactly correct.  Start/Stop is referring the the ApplicationContainer.  This part is a bit confusing in NS-3 and our documentation didn't help either :-D  If you can make update (it is in docs/sources/guide.....rst file) and push it in some form, it would so great.