[ndnSIM] Flow control and congestion control in ndnsim

Lixia Zhang lixia at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Mar 23 11:59:10 PDT 2016

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 11:25 AM, Spyridon (Spyros) Mastorakis <mastorakis at CS.UCLA.EDU> wrote:
>
> Hi Ahmed,
>
> this is a quite open-ended question about the NDN architecture in general. Currently, there is no way to perform congestion control in NDN.

this seems some English expression issue -- there are plenty of ways to perform congestion control (e.g. see some ideas from this paper http://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/comcom-stateful-forwarding.pdf <http://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/comcom-stateful-forwarding.pdf>)

I believe Spyros meant that today's NFD implementation has not adopted any specific solutions, hence he has not put a congestion control into ndnSIM.

Klaus Schneider is working on CC as Spyros already mentioned; a quick google search on "ndn congestion control" also returns lots pointers to the papers on the topic

to the original question:

>> On Mar 21, 2016, at 3:44 AM, Ahmed Sadek <don1559 at gmail.com <mailto:don1559 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I was wondering if someone can point me to information on the Flow Control and Congestion Control mechanism used in ndnsim and is it the same as in NDN ?
>>
>> Also, if the client keep sending interests on different interfaces and not receive response then what is the expected behavior ?

the question is: what's the cause, right?
e.g.
- if the node is not connected, that's a connect problem
- if there is local connectivity but the network is partitioned, that's a slightly different problem
- if the interest the data does not exist, ideally one should receive an app level NACK as explained in http://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/consumer_producer_communication.pdf <http://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/consumer_producer_communication.pdf>
- if the named producer does not exists, then it is up to how your strategy works (could generate a "NO ROUTE" NACK)