[ndnSIM] Simulating Real NDN Applications using ndnSIM

Spyridon (Spyros) Mastorakis mastorakis at CS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Mar 3 09:44:37 PST 2016

Dear all,

since September 2015 and the latest version of ndnSIM (version 2.1: <http://ndnsim.net/2.1/#>) , we support the simulation of real applications (meaning applications written against the ndn-cxx library). This is a feature that enables the NDN application developers to write applications that can be deployed on the NDN testbed and at the same time port these applications to ndnSIM and evaluate their performance and design trade-offs in large-scale experiments (there are a few requirements for these applications — please see <http://ndnsim.net/2.1/guide-to-simulate-real-apps.html>). As a proof of concept, we have ported a couple of real applications to ndnSIM:

1) ChronoSync: ChronoSync is a synchronization library for distributed realtime applications in NDN. In order to run ChronoSync in ndnSIM, you need to have the latest version of ndnSIM installed and also download the following ChronoSync scenario template: https://github.com/spirosmastorakis/scenario-ChronoSync

The readme file of this scenario includes instruction on how to build ChronoSync in the simulator. This scenario is based on a slightly modified version of ChronoSync that fulfills the requirements mentioned above: <https://github.com/spirosmastorakis/ChronoSync>

2) ndn-ping: This is an application from the ndn-tools repository. It implements ping consumers and producers. It can be found here: <https://github.com/named-data-ndnSIM/scenario-ndn-ping>

We encourage the research community to try this feature and port real application to ndnSIM.

In general, if you have implemented a scenario-template that works with the latest version of ndnSIM, please let us know. We could fork your scenario to the original ndnSIM repository, so that your work is used by other members of the research community.

Thank you very much for your time!

PS: If you refer to ndnSIM in a published work, please cite the following papers:

1) S. Mastorakis, A. Afanasyev, I. Moiseenko, and L. Zhang, “ndnSIM 2.0: A new version of the NDN simulator for NS-3,” NDN, Technical Report NDN-0028, 2015
2) A. Afanasyev, I. Moiseenko, and L. Zhang, “ndnSIM: NDN simulator for NS-3,” NDN, Technical Report NDN-0005, 2012

Spyridon (Spyros) Mastorakis
Personal Website: http://cs.ucla.edu/~mastorakis/ <http://cs.ucla.edu/~mastorakis/>
Internet Research Laboratory
Computer Science Department