[ndnSIM] tracing error in NDNs over WiFi

Alex Afanasyev aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Sun Jun 26 19:19:24 PDT 2016

> On Apr 28, 2016, at 6:45 AM, 刘铂熙 <boxiliu at hust.edu.cn> wrote:
>
> Hi, all
>
> I am a freshman in ndnSIM and have been stuck with using L2RateTracer in NDNs over Wi-Fi for a while.

Hi Percy,

L2RateTracer has been designed (tested) only for PointToPoint links.

WifiNetDevice does not provide the corresponding TraceSource to record drops directly.  You would need to modify it to get soemthing working, but even if you fix, the drops you will see will be only related to queue overflows, not wifi drops. I think, those you would need a higher-level ways to measure drops with WiFi, though I am not 100% sure about this.

> I find that the length of std::vector<struct IidInformation> ns3::IidManager::m_information in ns-3../src/core/model/type-id is always 0. Is there any wrong setup in my scenario? If no, how can I measurethe drop-rate and rate in NDNs over Wi-Fi?

Honestly, I'm not sure what ns3::IidManager::m_information is and how is it related to drops you're looking for.

> By the way, L3tracer/AppTracer also cannot work.

L3Tracer should work, though not for drops, but only for send/receive values (lower layer drops are not measurable with WifiNetDevice).  However, using send/receive values, you can estimate how much was dropped in the channel.