[ndnSIM] NACK in ndnSIM

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Jul 18 19:00:19 PDT 2016

Hi Klaus

I don't know the "easiest way" to get real NFD Nack into ndnSIM (I just
gave up and switched to Mininet), but the proper way is to upgrade ndnSIM's
NFD fork to NFD 0.4 or above.
I heard Xuxiang Tian is working on this, although I don't know what Redmine
issue number you can watch for progress.
If you want this feature keenly, I suggest you participate in the
development.

NFD 0.4 did a major face refactoring. This refactoring is what enables NFD
to process Nacks, and it's also the main difficulty in upgrading ndnSIM's
NFD fork.
I heard from Alex that one technical difficulty is that the fragmentation
and reassembly routines in GenericLinkService cannot retain ns3 packet
tags, and a possible solution is to develop a ns3-specific LinkService as a
replacement of GenericLinkService. I think this solution is consistent with
the intention when I designed LinkService.
Apart from that, it's just moving code around (for example, NetDeviceFace
into NetDeviceTransport).

Yours, Junxiao