[ndnSIM] Evaluation of cache policies

Roman Lutz romanlutz at cs.umass.edu
Thu Sep 17 16:50:06 PDT 2015

Hi Spyridon,

Thanks for the quick help! I checked these, but what I'm still not sure
about is:
Are the policies defined in the folder model/cs or rather utils/trie? For
example the LRU policy seems to be in:
https://github.com/named-data-ndnSIM/ndnSIM/blob/master/utils/trie/lru-policy.hpp

I see that there are several files in model/cs, namely content-store-impl,
content-store-no-cache, content-store-with-freshness,
content-store-with-probability, content-store-with-stats and
ndn-content-store. I actually looked into them, but I couldn't find
documentation in them saying what they are actually doing or meant for.

In utils/trie I found lots of policies defined, but I haven't yet found out
how the functionality works. I am a bit confused about some terms used
there since I haven't worked with your immense codebase before. I found the
following guide, but I couldn't find things mentioned in the Content Store
section in the code, e.g. cs::insert or cs::find.
http://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ndn-0021-4-nfd-developer-guide.pdf

Overall, what I'm trying to find out is: For an example like the following
https://github.com/named-data-ndnSIM/ndnSIM/blob/a5587caa724bbe0db85c8511649faf9e06f97754/examples/ndn-tree-cs-tracers.cpp
can I simply write my own policy in utils/trie like the above linked
lru-policy and change the line
SetOldContentStore("ns3::ndn::cs::Lru", "MaxSize", "100"); // default
ContentStore parameters
SetOldContentStore("ns3::ndn::cs::MyPolicy", "MaxSize", "100");
or am I missing something here? (And why is it "old" content store?)

Thanks,

Roman