[ndnSIM] How to prevent packet drops in ndnSIM 1.0?

Al Dab ali090385 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 11:10:42 PST 2015

Hi,

I am performing some simulations on ndnSIM 1.0 and for some of my
measurements I'd like to completely eliminate interest/data drops or at
least make them as close to zero as possible. My understanding is that most
packet drops happen due to a timeout or a queue overflow. For the interest
part, I have tried to increase the lifetime of the interest packets,
MaxPitEntryLifetime and also the queue size as follows:

ndn::AppHelper consumerHelper ("ns3::ndn::ConsumerZipfMandelbrot"); // to
be installed on all consumers
consumerHelper.SetAttribute ("LifeTime", StringValue ("9999s"));
Config::Set ("/NodeList/<nodeID>/$ns3::ndn::Pit/MaxPitEntryLifetime",
TimeValue (Seconds (9999))); // for all nodeID's
Config::SetDefault ("ns3::DropTailQueue::MaxPackets", StringValue ("9999"));

Still, I am getting some interest and data drops. These drops are measured
through L3AggregateTracer and tend to increase by increasing the channel
delay using the following command:

Config::SetDefault ("ns3::PointToPointChannel::Delay", StringValue
("500ms"));

I am wondering what other settings can lead to packet drops, both on
interests and data and what is the most efficient way of preventing such
drops?

Thanks,
Ali