[ndnSIM] NetDeviceFace

Alex Afanasyev aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Dec 10 15:55:46 PST 2015

> On Dec 8, 2015, at 1:32 AM, Natalya Rozhnova <rozhnova.natalya at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder what the class NetDeviceFace is used for in ndnSIM/NFD?
> I thought it links NetDevice and Face objects but practically it is never called (when I try to print anything in the constructor of NetDeviceFace, it does not, so I suppose that it's never created)...

I think there is a small confusion here.  NetDeviceFace instance is a face object, which happens to communicate to external nodes using send/receive functionality of NS-3's NetDevice.   As of now (this will not be true in the next version of NFD), there is no just Face object.  Each face is instance of a specific type of the face:  one that works using NetDevice, one that works for the NS-3 applications, (in future) using UDP socket simulation, etc.

I guess after you have corrected NS_LOG to include ndn.NetDeviceFace, you saw more messages:

- an instance of NetDeviceFace is created by ndn::StackHelper for each corresponding NetDevice found on nodes
- when FIB is configured to send interests through the face, you will see logs for each send and receive call.