[ndnSIM] Distributed Application in CCN domain

Haroon Rashid haroonr at iiitd.ac.in
Tue Sep 30 23:47:21 PDT 2014

Some more clarifications:

1>  By CCN I mean CCN/NDN paradigm and not the CCN daemon. How come a
thread would come to know the name of another thread, because threads
created by a parent process are unaware of each other.

2>  Right now my concern is only about ndnSIM. I don’t know anything about
NFD. While searching, I found there is something MPI in NS-3, but I am not
sure do I need this one or something else.

3>  By distributed application I mean an application which can be divided
into some threads such that each thread work parallely. End result of such
a process execution should be same as that of its serial execution.

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Ilya Moiseenko <iliamo at ucla.edu> wrote:

> I don’t work with CCNx daemon, but with NFD daemon each of your threads
> can register its own individual name like
> 1) /chatapp/thread1
> 2) /chatapp/thread2
> 3) /chatapp/thread3
>
> I didn’t understand question b), but you can have intra-process
> communication with Interest and Data packets in NFD.
>
> Regarding ndnSIM, in normal mode, its core works in a single thread, and
> it’s not that trivial to make your simulation scenario run in
> multiple-threads.
> You can refer to general NS-3 documentation for help.
>
> To find some information about “pushing”  you can find the section talking
> about "Command Interests" in NFD developers guide.
>
> Ilya
>
> On Sep 30, 2014, at 4:32 AM, Haroon Rashid <haroonr at iiitd.ac.in> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I am curious to know how a distributed application works in CCN paradigm.
> Consider a scenario where an application is having three threads (logical
> processes) running on three nodes (three processors of a single node).
> Now, if these three processes want to communicate with each other for a
> certain reason. How can I achieve the same in CCN, i.e.,  (a) how processes
> can refer to each other (NAMING CONCERN) (b) will the format of Interest
> and Data packets will be same as that of current packet structure in
> CCN/NDN. Since, these communication messages might be very short like Hello
> packets or status request of a node.
>

> Is there any simple distributed application with which I can start working
> and come out with different possibilities of communication between
> processes of an application? Furthermore, I would like to mention that I
> want do this in ndnSIM.  Currently, is there any support (libraries) in
> ndnSIM for doing this.
>

> Another concern I am thinking is that  I know that CCN is pull based
> approach. Can I mix a push based approach for some messages in a
> distributed scenario discussed above without violating CCN  paradigm?
>

> Best,
> Haroon Rashid

Haroon Rashid