[ndnSIM] some questions about 'limit'

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Thu Nov 13 17:42:40 PST 2014

Hi Chengcheng,

This is something similar to TCP’s delay-bandwidth product (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth-delay_product <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth-delay_product>).  To “fill the pipe” with Interest-Data, you need to allow a certain number of outstanding Interests and this certain number would depend on path’s delay.

It still applies, but just in a different way. Limits::Rate implements a token bucket shaping algorithm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_bucket <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_bucket>) and `limit` defines the size of the bucket = number of allowed burst (bucket is “refilled” with a certain rate).  Limits::Window implements a simple windowing mechanism, where `limit` is just a number of outstanding interests.

> 3. Following that, a code is presented: 'ndnHelper.EnableLimits (true, Seconds (0.2), 40, 1100);', does this mean that all the links' delay in topology are 0.2?

It doesn’t mean, but implies that in your simulation scenario paths over which Interest/Data are exchanges will be ~200ms.  This method makes a big assumption that this will be constant, which may not be applicable for some scenarios.

—