[ndnSIM] Question for the course of packet trnamitting

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Sat May 17 20:00:37 PDT 2014

Hi Aaron,

Wire::FromInterest/toInterest do not directly related to the transmission path (these are just to construct actual wire format).

The processing is something like this:

[Consumer/Face] ReceiveInterest(interest) ->
[Face]     (registeredCallback)(Interest)
            * registered callback is set from Forwarder via RegisterProtocolHandlers method
[ForwardingStrategy] onInterest, ..., PropagateInterest ->
[specific strategy, such as BestRoute] DoPropagateInterest ->
[ForwardingStrategy] TrySendOutInterest ->
[Face] sendInterest ->
[NetDeviceFace] (virtual call) Send ->
"actual" transmission through NS'3 NetDevice (NetDevice -> Channel -> NetDevice)
[NetDeviceFace] ReceiveFromNetDevice (registered callback to NetDevice) ->
[Face] Receive ->
[Face] ReceiveInterest ->