[ndnSIM] Questions About the Hop Counts

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Thu Mar 27 13:16:06 PDT 2014

Hi Aaron,

Sorry for the confusion.  But here is the basic rule that I tried to explain in the docs, but apparently fail (you're not the first one who confused).

HopCount is increased any time "Send" is called from the forwarder side.  forwarder -> other node; forwarder -> applications.  It is never increased when application sends anything towards the forwarder, since it doesn't use "Send" method, it uses a different mechanism provided by AppFace/ApiFace.

So. Again.  When application sends out interest/data, hop count is not increased (send out is done via an appFace callback), when application receives interest/data, hop count **is** increased.

Hop count cannot be zero.  If data is satisfied from local cache, hop count would be 1 (app->forwarder +0, forwarder->app +1).

Is it still confusing?