[ndnSIM] Some Questions about Content Store

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Tue Mar 19 07:47:13 PDT 2013

Hi Du,

Word "caching" may not always be the right word to use, since NDN just defines/requires/features a concept of some in-network storage.  This in-network storage can have different forms/tiers, for example it could be
- a simple packet buffers (short term, acting similar to packet queues in existing IP routers) to facilitate robust recovery from losses: re-expressed Interests don't need to go all the way down to the producer, as they do now
- more sophisticated and longer-term caches (this is what normally meant by "cache")
- permanent data storage (CDN-like storage, "paid by" consumer).

More specifically about ndnSIM.  It is possible to set different limits on ContentStore capacities, as well as different types of ContentStores (including not-yet-implemented "non-caching" ContentStore) on individual simulation nodes.   You can check out example ndn-simple-with-different-sizes-content-store.cc that sets different sizes of ContentStores on different simulation nodes.