[ndnSIM] Fwd: Forwarding strategy for wireless network

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Sun Jul 14 15:54:57 PDT 2013

Hi Milad,

Sorry for my delayed reply.  Currently, there are no strategies that implement smart wireless-aware forwarding are implemented in ndnSIM.  I think I already pointed you to an extension that does some wireless-based forwarding in vehicular environments (https://github.com/cawka/ndnSIM-nom-rapid-car2car), but it is not exactly what are you looking for.

As for the implementation, you may want to start with creating a new custom strategy class that is derived from ndn::ForwardingStrategy and overload a couple of methods, including SatisfyPendingInterest, CanSendOutInterest, DoPropagateInterest and may be some others.  The key point is that you should enable "forwarding" to the incoming face (since in wifi scenarios this is an intended behavior).  Also, you should be careful to terminate such "relaying" at some point.

As for multipath routing.  It is NDN feature (nonce in interests effectively prevent any looping, so it is supported by ndnSIM). Another question is how exactly this multipath is implemented in the forwarding strategy.