[Ndn-interest] [EXT] question on request and response

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Jan 25 16:07:29 PST 2021

Hi Marwa

I connect two virtual machines in virtualbox and configure the NFD same
> what it written here <https://named-data.net/doc/NFD/current/INSTALL.html>
> and run ndnping and ndnpingserver and the results are in the attachments
> (picture 1,2)
> 1- in pic. 1 the rtt starts to be high  13.8 and then decreases to 1.8
> then it increases to 2.3  then decreases again to 1.8 why is that?

The first Interest has additional delay because the client needs to
establish a connection to the forwarder.
1.8 vs 2.3 is normal.

> 2- then I used ccnputchunks and ccncatchunks instead of  ndnping and
> ndnpingserver (picture 3,4),
> I transfer a picture with 11KB , so during the transfer it was cut into 3
> chunks, why? is there a specific size for the transfer?

Each chunk is 4400-octet payload.
https://github.com/named-data/ndn-tools/blob/a0e6b60e8f1c7f61097afc6c5371d0bf8f19c2cf/tools/chunks/putchunks/producer.hpp#L52

> 3- in pic. 3 there is a lot of information regarding the transfer such as
> RTO, alpha, beta, k, where i can find a description about these parameters?

These are details of CUBIC congestion control algorithm.

4- in pic. 5 the RTT has decreased very much after I run the ccncatchunks
> for many times, why?

Content is now served from cache.