[Ndn-interest] Issues installing NFD in Fedora 33

Alex Afanasyev aa at cs.fiu.edu
Wed Apr 21 10:10:23 PDT 2021

Fedora by default doesn't look for shared libraries under /usr/local. Not sure why, but this was the config for a long time (could be security related issue). Copying into /usr/lib works, but I would say it is not the best way.

A better way is to update your dynamic linker config to include /usr/local/lib64 (and anything else you need). This can be as simple as adding a new file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/local  with just /usr/local/lib64 line in it; running `sudo ldconfig` afterwards.

If you don't want to modify, you can also set some environment variable, but don't immediately remember which one.

-
Alex

> On Apr 21, 2021, at 12:02 PM, PEDRO DAVID ARJONA VILLICAÑA via Ndn-interest <ndn-interest at lists.cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> I have found the following problem while installing NFD in Fedora 33: Following the same procedure described at the "A beginners guide to installing and testing NLSR on Fedora <https://named-data.net/doc/NLSR/current/beginners-guide.html>", when I try to compile NFD using the ./waf command, there is an error saying "/usr/bin/ld.gold: error: cannot find -lndn-cxx". Initially I thought that I have not installed ndn-cxx correctly, so I checked my configuration and everything seemed to be as it should. So I tried copying the ndn-cxx files from "/usr/local/lib64" to "/usr/lib" (libndn-cxx.so.0.7.1, libndn-cxx.so and pkgconfig). Then I ran the waf commands again and everything worked fine.
>
> I have installed NFD many times before in Fedora and I have not found this problem before. Is this an issue that needs to be reported as a bug? Or maybe there is another configuration step that needs to be added for Fedora 33. My previous NFD installation was in Fedora 31.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Arjona

Alex Afanasyev
Assistant Professor, SCIS, Florida International University
11200 SW 8th Street, PG6 Room 140D, Miami, FL 33199
phone: +1.305.348.4960 (office); email: aa at cs.fiu.edu
web: https://users.cs.fiu.edu/~afanasyev/