[Ndn-interest] [EXT]Re: NDN Research Issue, Name-Lookup in NFD

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Sat May 16 08:52:54 PDT 2020

Hi Avakili

The simplest Key-Value store is a hash table. NDN node designs have been
using hash tables for CS/PIT/FIB.
One of the designs is Named data networking on a router: Fast and
DoS-resistant forwarding with hash tables
<https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6665203>.
There are at least two successful implementations from variations of this
design.

With everything else optimized, memory copying can become a performance
bottleneck.
If your Key-Value store is in the same process as the forwarder (e.g. a
hash table), and it avoids copying names and packets as much as possible,
it should work well.

If you have a Key-Value store in a separate process (e.g. a MongoDB server
connected over Unix sockets), packet names (and sometimes payload) have to
be copied several times, and this would reduce performance.
With that being said, there's a file server implementation
<https://github.com/chavoosh/ndn-mongo-fileserver> using MongoDB. However,
its performance was only compared with a SQLite-based implementation which
has less copying but much slower lookups.

Therefore, the conclusion depends on what you mean by "embed": how many
copies?

Yours, Junxiao