[Ndn-interest] Maximum Throughput in NDN

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon May 20 11:47:08 PDT 2019

Hi Klaus

1. What's the file size? Since there's less than 2 window decreases on
> average, I'd suggest using larger files to get more representative results.

Each file is 100MB. There are six simultaneous flows, so total data amount
is 600MB.
Files were dd'ed from /dev/urandom.

2. What's the main conclusion? That getting data from CS is about 40%
> fast than getting it from the local producer app?

I'm providing a data point, not drawing any conclusions.

Also, I got a higher throughput (490 Mbps) on weaker hardware (i7-6600U
> laptop CPU) and not using the CS, with just 1 simultaneous consumer:
> https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/4362#note-60

i7-6600U has higher frequency (2.60GHz) than E5-2640 (2.50GHz).
Having only one flow does not reflect usual workload on a file server or a
web browser client.

Much lower RTTs too. Any explanation for the difference?

I don't know. Everything is installed from APT without changes.

Here are some more recent measurements from the last Hackathon, which
> achieve higher throughput than 25Mbps with similar RTTs:
> https://redmine.named-data.net/attachments/download/878/catchunks_perf.pdf
>
> As you observed below, catchunks is much faster on the localhost vs.
> using a network link. I don't really know why that is, since in both
> cases (assuming link BW is high enough) CPU seems to be the limiting
> factor.

There could be packet loss using a network link, but no loss on Unix
sockets.