[Ndn-interest] Questions about CanBePrefix

Alex Afanasyev cawka1 at gmail.com
Thu May 2 05:27:11 PDT 2019

> On May 2, 2019, at 12:33 AM, 김학서 <tuple at etri.re.kr> wrote:
>
> Dear ALL,
>
> I’m reading the NDN Packet Format v0.3 Transition Plan. In the CanBePrefix Switchover section, it is described as follows.
>
> =============
> This step discourages the use of CanBePrefix=1 to improve network performance.
>
> My Questions are :
>
> 1. What intention do you use the “discourages” in the sentence above? Could you elaborate a bit?

This is not exactly a correct word. What is meant here is that the default setting when the flag is not set is to treat the Interest as a request for the exact name data.  And the whole point is to emphasize that library setting switch to follow the semantics of the packet spec.

> 2. Can I use the CanBePrefix flag in my new applications?

Yes

> 3. You mentioned performance degradation in the sentence above, do you have any test results about performance of CanBePrefix? If you have it, can I get it?

It is based on a simple fact that finding data by exact name is simpler (1-step process, if considering hash table implementation) than finding data that matches interest prefix (multiple matches).

—
Alex