[Ndn-interest] The Usage of ApplicationParameters in the Interest packet

Lixia Zhang lixia at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 20 21:15:14 PDT 2019

> On Mar 20, 2019, at 8:41 PM, Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul
>
> The protocol designers won't admit it, but ApplicationParameters is actually payload in Interest packet , as much as Content is payload in Data packet. So the answer to question 2 and 3 are yes.

Junxiao, please stop making such false statement, as you were in the multiple discussions we had couple years back.

Generally speaking, an Interest carries a  request, and in a number of cases, the request is associated with some input parameters.
A request parameter is not a payload, just like a cookie in a HTTP request is not called a payload.

> Question 1 is more complicated. ApplicationParameters was called "Interest payload", but protocol designers decide to call it "parameters" because you shouldn't be sending large amounts of payload in Interests. It messes up PIT aggregation, caching, and congestion control.

I would rephrase in a slightly different way: one should not *abuse* Interest parameter field to send large quantity of data.

Lixia