[Ndn-interest] NDN Stack

Ahmed BENMOUSSA ah.benmoussa at lagh-univ.dz
Tue Aug 6 04:33:36 PDT 2019

Dear Klaus,

*Note that the first one has the transport layer grayed out and explains*

*"transport functions are implemented in system libraries used by *
*applications*".

Yes, in the first paper the "Transport" layer is grayed out.
It is presented as a sub-layer of the "Application" layer.
When I first read the paper, I found this approach of the NDN stack right.
What confused me, is the second paper (published after the first one).
In the second paper, the authors separated the "Transport" layer from
the "Application" layer. (Two authors shares the first and the second
paper).

Dear Wentao Shang,
Thank you for your response.

*"the NDN layer by itself is best-effort only, so applications often need*

* an additional layer to provide some form of stronger guarantees, or
"reliability", *
*in data delivery, such as eventual consistency" *

Yes, I understand your point. But if the actual NDN uses IP protocols (e.g.
TCP)
as link-layer tunnels, why add another layer to guarantee reliability?
Or this layer will be used when NDN is natively deployed (i.e. without
using IP protocols)?

Best regards,
Ahmed B.