[Ndn-interest] NDN Load Balancing and Alternative Path

Klaus Schneider klaus at cs.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 24 22:25:51 PDT 2017

I fully agree with Junxiao's answer, but I'll give some more direct
comments.

On 04/24/2017 07:49 PM, n.boubakr at bit.edu.cn wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Starting from the point that the Data packet is routed back to consumer
> using the reverse path of Interest. How can we achieve a load balancing
> in Data delivery,

You balance the load of data by controlling the Interests that retrieve
the data.

> and how can we migrate from a link to another link in
> case of link failure.

You send the Interests to the different link.

If, after the link failure, the Data is already on its way, it will get
dropped at the failed link. Then the Interests retrieving the Data will
need to be retransmitted. However, if link failure is rare, this
shouldn't be a big problem.

> Another question, most of efforts in NDN congestion control propose
> using alternative path, how can we use an alternative path and NDN
> forwarding engine uses the PIT table to deliver data.

I'm not sure if I understand the question.

> The idea of alternative path and load balancing is valid only in
> Interest path and can not be realized in Data path.

Yes, but since Data always follows Interests, balancing Interest packets
automatically balances the Data load.

Best regards,
Klaus