[Ndn-interest] NDN Protocol Design Principles

Alex Afanasyev aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Sun Mar 13 11:58:59 PDT 2016

Hi Xiaoke,

> On Mar 11, 2016, at 12:06 AM, Xiaoke Jiang <shock.jiang at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Alex,
>    This is really an interesting topics, and I tried to summarize some principles too. And here is my comments.
> 1. The meaning of "NDN principle" is not very clear (at least to me). I think you do not refer to the design principle of NDN architecture itself, but more or less refer to NDN-based applications. But anyway, to clarify its meaning and usage would make it easier to understand.

These principles are for the NDN networking protocol, not applications.  Yes, there are some implications to the applications, but the objective is to define what the networking protocol should be and do.

> 2. I would say REST-style application layer interaction. Since no session is built between producer and consumer, Interest should not rely on context of communication in order to retrieve a data.
> This also relates to Interest concurrency, here I mean how many Interests can be sent in parallel. I categories the Interests to two kinds: 1) safe one, which does not change the status of producer, but "read" data only; 2) sensitive one, which may change the status. When there is sensitive Interests, the sequence of Interests is critical; otherwise, multiple Interests can be sent in parallel for better throughput.
> 3. Apps do not have to worry about scalability, since multiple data source, caching and hop-by-hop flow control effectively enables app to scale its throughput. But apps should avoid to move NDN communication back to end-to-end style by building session manually. (although session may be a must for some apps.)

I think these points are about application, not networking layer.  One can build any type of the application on top of the networking-level provided primitives.  It is just a question how much network primitives help the application.

---
Alex