[Ndn-interest] Basic Query on LSDB

Lan Wang (lanwang) lanwang at memphis.edu
Thu Aug 25 11:52:03 PDT 2016

On Aug 24, 2016, at 3:49 AM, Tanusree Chatterjee <tnsr.chatterjee at gmail.com<mailto:tnsr.chatterjee at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi all,

One thing I am little confused about is that, in NLSR whether it is known from the LSDB that a particular name prefix is served by which node? So, I came to know the destination of a content while sending the interest for it? And when the interest is being sent, the path is known as the destination is known. But, packets in NDN does not carry source or destination address.

When a node advertises a name prefix, it puts its own name as the originator in the name LSA.  Other nodes use the topology of the network (based on the adjacency LSAs) to figure out how to reach the originator of the name prefix.

When an interest is sent, we only know the name in the interest (not who has the data).  This name is matched against the forwarding table to decide where to send the interest.

Or LSDB content only indicates whether at all the requested content is available in the network? If the content is available then the interest is just forwarded to the next hop router and/or routers? If it is not then it is flooded?

The information in the LSDB contains all the name prefixes available and who advertised them, as well as all the adjacencies (the topology of the network).  This information can be used to compute the next hop(s) toward each name prefix.  Interests can be forwarded along the best next hop or multiple next hops depending on the forwarding strategy.

Can anyone tell me how does the LSDB in NLSR look like?

The best way to understand the LSDB in NLSR is to read the following:

- our technical report:

A Secure Link State Routing Protocol for NDN. Vince Lehman, A K M Mahmudul Hoque, Yingdi Yu, Lan Wang, Beichuan Zhang, and Lixia Zhang.
NDN, Technical Report NDN-0037. http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0037-1-nlsr/

- the latest code: https://github.com/named-data/NLSR

- NLSR developer’s guide that describes our implementation: https://netwisdom.cs.memphis.edu/gitlab/vslehman/nlsr-docs/blob/master/nlsr-docs.pdf

Lan