[Ndn-interest] NDN-friendly Mobility solutions

Wentao Shang wentaoshang at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 13:10:03 PST 2015

On Fri Feb 20 2015 at 12:51:41 PM Mark Stapp <mjs at cisco.com> wrote:

> On 2/19/15 4:08 PM, Wentao Shang wrote:
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > Yes, I think the "CDN-style" model could be a starting point for solving
> > a class of mobility problems. A few things that are still unclear to me
> > include:
> >
> > 1/ Can we use this rendezvous model for real-time communications like
> > video/audio conferencing? Not sure how the indirection will affect the
> > delays.
> >

> there are plenty of familiar services - skype, webex, gotomeeting - that
> use a managed, distributed cdn service for rendezvous, at least. that
> allows clients with topological names (at home, at work, on mobile
> network) to rendezvous with one another. the clients can then
> communicate directly, having learned the necessary names from the
> rendezvous service. if one client is truly mobile (not likely at work,
> perhaps, but possible while transitioning from one network to another)
> that client can update the rendezvous service and it's possible the
> communication can recover without significant interruption.
>

> > 2/ If we plan to use Interest-Interest communication, how do we handle
> > the case when the producer doesn't have a routable prefix (or doesn't
> > know he has)? The Kite approach (i.e., using PIT to do reverse path
> > forwarding) is a significant change to the architecture and I still
> > don't understand the implication of this change yet.
> >

> I don't quite follow that remark about not having a routable name. if
> you can't be reached, if you don't have a routable name, then ... you
> can't be reached? I guess I expect that when an ndn host arrives on a
> network, it learns some routable name prefix - just as an IP host learns
> one or more addresses along with other necessary IP info from DHCP.

This is true. But what if the producer wants to publish data under some
provider-independent identity while he is moving across networks? The
mobile device may be reachable via some local prefix but the data may be
under a different prefix. E.g., I always want to publish data under
/ucla/cs/wentao prefix while I'm moving from my office to my TWC homenet,
or even back to China...

Wentao