[Ndn-interest] Security: Privacy of Interest names

GTS gts at ics.uci.EDU
Fri Sep 19 11:48:50 PDT 2014

Felix:

it is indeed the case that, with cleartext interests, more information
is leaked
in an NDN interaction than in its IP counterpart.

However, it is quite trivial to encrypt an arbitrary number of name suffix
components. Assuming that Alice (customer) and her bank (Wells Fargo)
share a key (see ** below), Alice can issue interests with names, such as:

\ndn\com\usa\wells-fargo\california\ENCRYPTED-GLOP

The cleartext prefix is rout-able.

This kind of an interest leaks no more than an IP packet sent
by Alice to california.wells-fargo.com with contents of ENCRYPTED-GLOP.
In fact, in NDN/CCNx, it leaks less information since IP also leaks the
source.

One intuitive use-case for encrypted name suffixes is to implement
something like a VPN.
E.g., a wells-fargo VPN border router would receive the above interest
and decrypt
ENCRYPTED-GLOP to produce a name that might be rout-able within the
wells-fargo
private network, e.g.:

\ndn\wells-fargo-private\orange-county\laguna-beach\retail\Alice\withdrawal\etc.

This way, both  the bank's internal structure and Alice's request
details are concealed
from eavesdroppers.

**How Alice and her bank come to share a key is a separate issue.
Alice might begin by issuing an interest for the content corresponding
to the bank's public key.
Sort of like an SSL Client Hello. The reply would be similar to SSL
Server Hello. The rest is
left as a homework exercise :-)

Cheers,
Gene

Gene Tsudik
Chancellor's Professor of Computer Science
University of California, Irvine