[Mini-NDN] beginner in mini-ndn

Saurab Dulal (sdulal) sdulal at memphis.edu
Thu Sep 24 21:05:00 PDT 2020

Hi Marwa,

Please see the inline answers.

________________________________
From: Mini-NDN <mini-ndn-bounces at lists.cs.ucla.edu> on behalf of Lan Wang (lanwang) <lanwang at memphis.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 9:03 AM
To: Junxiao Shi via Mini-NDN <mini-ndn at lists.cs.ucla.edu>
Subject: [Mini-NDN] beginner in mini-ndn

Begin forwarded message:

From: marwa kareem <m.kareem1305 at coeng.uobaghdad.edu.iq<mailto:m.kareem1305 at coeng.uobaghdad.edu.iq>>
Subject: beginner in mini-ndn
Date: September 24, 2020 at 6:54:33 AM CDT
To: mini-ndn at lists.cs.ucla.edu<mailto:mini-ndn at lists.cs.ucla.edu>

Hello mini-ndn team

I'm still a beginner in mini-ndn , I read the documentation and implemented the ping stuff in the command line, but now I'm stuck in the next step, so could you please help me.

1-I want to implement a consumer/producer scenario however I don't know how to begin with that, there is consumer/producer program files in the ndn-cxx folder but i don't know how to use them, I try to run ./build/examples/producer.cpp but it don't work.
I don't understand what do you mean by "it didn't work". If you want to test how the consumer/producer in the example folder of ndn-cxx works, you must compile ndn-cxx with examples i.e. ./waf configure --with-examples && ./waf build && sudo ./waf install. This will create a consumer/producer app in ./build/examples/ folder. Now you can simply run the producer app first and then consumer app to see the basic interest data exchange. Remember to run nfd before testing consumer/producer. Just wanted to make you clear that this has nothing to do with Mini-NDN. In Mini-NDN, you can use any app/tools or whatever and can run it from a node. Say, you have a consumer app installed in your system. Now, you can simply run <node> consumer from Mini-NDN CLI or do the same from the experiment. Please look at: ndn-tools (https://github.com/named-data/ndn-tools), ndn-cxx/examples etc. All of these can run easily from Mini-NDN. Also, refer to mini-ndn<https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn>/examples/ for some example experiments.

2- what is the meaning of  [nodes] section in the default-topology.conf file in mini-ndn, is it a host? If I want to make it a real host/node, how can I do that?
[nodes] section represents all the nodes in a network topology. Yes, it is a host/node. In the topology you have attached below, [nodes] will be all the NDN-Router. See the examples/mnndn.py. It is using default-topology which has 4 nodes and 3 links. When you run the example, all the nodes (a, b...) act as a real ndn node and runs the nfd. Let me know if mean anything else by "real host/node".
3- how can I add a switch to the default-topology file ?
There are multiple ways to add switches i) via conf file (topology file). Just add a section [switches] like [nodes] and add switches there ii) via the experiment https://github.com/mininet/mininet/blob/master/mininet/net.py#L249. You need to connect a node and a switch with a link. We will add an example for the switch sometime later. Also, you are most welcome to add one once you figure out 🙂.

4- why the switch, the router, is the same in icn/ndn? is it because it deal with names instead of the ip adresses so it doesn't matter if it is a switch or a router?
I am not sure how to answer this. I don't know if there is anything called NDN-switches and I doubt they are same. Can you point me where you read them being the same?
4- in the attachment image, what is the "ndn router" , Is it the forwarder(nfd) that runs in the node? or is it a real router? a general purpose router? or it is a specific ndn software?
Yes, ndn-router is a real router and yes it runs the forwarder. You can read this paper to get started: https://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/named_data_networking_ccr.pdf. You can also find more resources here: https://named-data.net/publications/

Thank you,
Saurab Dulal
best regards, marwa
[cid:be59102b-f9ad-4597-bed0-f3ddaf6ff877]