[Mini-NDN] Issues installing MiniNDN

Lan Wang (lanwang) lanwang at memphis.edu
Sat Sep 19 16:27:30 PDT 2020

From: André D. Carneiro <adcarneiro at inf.ufrgs.br<mailto:adcarneiro at inf.ufrgs.br>>
Subject: Issues installing MiniNDN
Date: September 19, 2020 at 4:34:30 PM CDT
To: mini-ndn at lists.cs.ucla.edu<mailto:mini-ndn at lists.cs.ucla.edu>.

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting MiniNDN up and running. I figured the easiest way to install is by using the vagrantfile. So I cloned the repo for named-data/mini-ndn and ran `vagrant up` inside it, which created the virtual machine in VirtualBox. I then proceeded to install miniNDN inside it via `sudo ./install.sh -a`, which downloaded and compiled everything successfully.

The first thing I noticed is that it did not create a `minindn` symbolic link, which is not a real problem for me because running the python scripts inside the examples folder still starts minindn and lets me in to the mini-ndn> CLI. Just thought is was curious.

Anyway, the real problem is that when I run `sudo python examples/mnndn.py`, everything starts and I get in to the CLI. But then, running pingall results in the following

mini-ndn> pingall
    *** Ping: testing ping reachability
    a -> b c X
    b -> a X d
    c -> X X X
    d -> X X X
    *** Results: 66% dropped (4/12 received)

And after I run `sudo python examples/nlsr/pingall.py`, exit the CLI and run `grep -c content /tmp/minindn/*/ping-data/*.txt`, as stated in the documentation, I get the following:

/tmp/minindn/a/ping-data/b.txt:300
    /tmp/minindn/a/ping-data/c.txt:300
    /tmp/minindn/a/ping-data/d.txt:300
    /tmp/minindn/b/ping-data/a.txt:300
    /tmp/minindn/b/ping-data/c.txt:300
    /tmp/minindn/b/ping-data/d.txt:300
    /tmp/minindn/c/ping-data/a.txt:300
    /tmp/minindn/c/ping-data/b.txt:300
    /tmp/minindn/c/ping-data/d.txt:300
    /tmp/minindn/d/ping-data/a.txt:300
    /tmp/minindn/d/ping-data/b.txt:300
    /tmp/minindn/d/ping-data/c.txt:300

As oposed to the count of 50 that should be reported for each file.

Running `grep -c timeout /tmp/minindn/*/ping-data/*.txt` yields the apparently correct result of 0 for each file.

Note that I have already tried this same process on two different linux machines here. Having the same results.

I believe these problems are the cause for another error that I'm having in my experiments, where I get NACK for every consumer when trying to run a simple producer/consumer scenario.

Also, the documentation I refer to is this one: http://minindn.memphis.edu/install.html#using-install-sh

Best regards,
André Dexheimer Carneiro