[Mini-NDN] IP-Routing Helper Fix

Philipp Moll philipp.moll at itec.aau.at
Tue Jul 21 03:43:12 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I just pushed a fix for the IP-Routing helper to Gerrit. The old version
of the IP-Routing helper does not work for large topologies, such as the
GEANT topology. This can be tested with `sudo python
examples/ip_rounting_experiment.py topologies/geant.conf`. The new
version fixes the problems and now, the IPRoutingHelper works in
(hopefully) all topologies.

I made the path in March, but didn't find time to submit the path at
that time. Now, I can't remember all the details, but pings were not
successful when the path between two nodes was not symmetric (different
paths for A-->B and B-->A). Technically, this should not matter, but for
some reason, ping made troubles. I rewrote parts of the routing helper
to prevent asymmetric paths (respectively asymmetric subpaths) and now
pingall results in 100% success (`Results: 0% dropped (1980/1980
received)`) for the GEANT topology.

Long story short: the patch is working and I think everyone should be
able to profit from that. However, I am currently busy with finishing my
PhD, so, please spare me a review with hundreds of patch sets, as I
experienced it with earlier patches.

Thanks,
Philipp