[Mini-NDN] Custom experiments in MiniNDN, Sending data, Error: No default identity

Saurab Dulal (sdulal) sdulal at memphis.edu
Wed Aug 26 22:26:46 PDT 2020

Hi Anurag,

see inline.

________________________________
From: Mini-NDN <mini-ndn-bounces at lists.cs.ucla.edu> on behalf of Anurag Muttur via Mini-NDN <mini-ndn at lists.cs.ucla.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 6:38 AM
To: mini-ndn at lists.cs.ucla.edu <mini-ndn at lists.cs.ucla.edu>
Subject: [Mini-NDN] Custom experiments in MiniNDN, Sending data, Error: No default identity

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding MiniNDN,

1. How do I make and execute custom experiments on MiniNDN? Should I just run the python file? But some older experiments like the ping server and client as shown in the demo do not work if I just run the python file (I get an error like 'No module named experiment'). In the previous version of MiniNDN, I could run the experiment and check the list of experiments available with sudo minindn --experiment and sudo minindn --experiment-list. I would like to know if there is such a feature on this latest version of MiniNDN. I would like to know if there is more documentation that shows me how to run custom experiments apart from http://minindn.memphis.edu/experiment.html.

- We have done a major update since Mini-NDN 0.4.0, next release is on its way. Please check minindn website for more details, specifically http://minindn.memphis.edu/experiment.html to know more on how to write and run custom experiments. Also, check /examples folder for more examples.

2. When I create my own three node topology, eg. a-b-c all linked together, I can ping a-c but cannot ping c-a unless I mention the IP address of a. Is there another way to create this link without mentioning the IP address? I have seen something on using a 'route' command, but I am unsure how to use it.

- For every link, minindn creates a veth pair, meaning a-c is different than c-a. So, if you have a-c link in the topology, you can do a ping c but not the other way around. You can use Ip Routing Helper if you want nodes to ping each other. For more details check:

code: https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/master/minindn/helpers/ip_routing_helper.py
example: https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/master/examples/ip_rounting_experiment.py

More important info:
https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/3054
https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/4069

3. Everytime I start MiniNDN, I get an error message that says 'Error: No default identity'. That being said, this doesn't seem to have an impact on the network created but I would like to know what the significance behind this error message is.

- Yes, the message is something we need to suppress. Thanks for pointing it out. As you have said, yes, it doesn't cause any problems. It comes from the following line: https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/master/minindn/minindn.py#L99 which checks if the dummy key chain is installed in the system or not. And if it's not, and also if there is no default identity installed in the system you get that message.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,
Saurab Dulal

Thanks and Regards,