[Mini-NDN] Looking for input on moving forward with Mini-NDN-Wifi

Alexander Wilhelm Lane (awlane) awlane at memphis.edu
Tue Sep 10 14:59:26 PDT 2019

Good evening all,

I have been working on making changes such that we can move forward with
integrating Mini-NDN-Wifi and Mini-NDN, something that has been an open
Redmine issue since 2017. I have a functional version (needs polishing
and documentation) but wanted to make sure I communicated with
stakeholders and those potentially effected by the issue.

Mini-NDN-WIfi, for those not in the know, is a fork of Mini-NDN created
a few years ago to utilize Mininet-Wifi, a fork of Mininet with wifi
emulation and mobility support. The fork has been behind on updates due
to a lack of use, which makes it desirable that we merge it into the
mainline branch to make it more accessible as well as better supported.

To summarize, my code changes at the moment entail the following:

*Some changes to experiment argument handling were needed to prevent
excessive experiment changes or code duplication.

*Mini-NDN-WIfi experiments will need to be updated to using the current
format for arguments rather than arbitrary arguments.

*Due to separate topology and library requirements, at the moment wifi
and wired experiments are segmented to separate folders. This prevents
issue from potential overlaps in namespace (i.e. two "pingall" experiments).

*At the moment, the wifi library duplicates some amount of code (ie the
ExperimentManager) in an attempt to make this transition as clean as
possible. In the future it may be cleaner to merge them but this change
will almost certainly be more breaking than it is.

Having stated all of this (which to be clear has been done but is not
set in stone), I wanted to inquire about the following:

*Is this seriously wanted or needed by users?

*Are there features that would need to be in there to be desirable or
useful?

*Are there things you would actively dislike having in a merged version?

Please send any comments my way.

Thanks,

Alex Lane