[Nfd-dev] PIB service causes remote registration of every prefix

Dave Oran (oran) oran at cisco.com
Thu May 7 07:42:57 PDT 2015

> On May 7, 2015, at 10:02 AM, Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave
>
> There's no risk of cache poisoning.
> The gateway router registers a route to the laptop only if the laptop user owns the prefix, as proved by a certificate.
What you are saying is that the route registration is signed by a certificate specifically issued for that prefix to the user holding the corresponding private key, and this was done by a CA with authority over a shorter prefix, right?

What is the exact protocol machinery for registration? (sorry if this is obvious and written down somewhere and I haven’t seen it).

> There's no increased risk of DoS'ing the certificate store (PIB service).
Agree
> The DoS risk is the same when a laptop registers at least one prefix onto the gateway router.
I’m not clear if there’s a hazard here. If the router checks that any prefix registered also has a path to the certificate registered and that the cert has been verified, I can see how this prevents DoS-by-fake-registrations. Is that in fact what’s done?