[Nfd-dev] Fwd: Running NFD without sudo

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Jan 19 17:57:21 PST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ivan Yeo <ivanyeo at cs.ucla.edu>
Date: Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 4:49 PM
Subject: Running NFD without sudo
To: Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu>

Hi Junxiao,

I have managed to get NFD to run on Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite by changing the
following settings in /usr/local/etc/ndn/nfd.conf:

face_system
{
  ; The unix section contains settings of UNIX stream faces and channels.
  unix
  {
    listen no; set to 'no' to disable UNIX stream listener, default 'yes'
    path /var/run/nfd.sock ; UNIX stream listener path
  }

  udp
  {
    mcast no; set to 'no' to disable UDP multicast, default 'yes'
    mcast_port 56363 ; UDP multicast port number
    mcast_group 224.0.23.170 ; UDP multicast group (IPv4 only)
  }
}

However, right now, NRD cannot seem to be able to connect to the running
NFD. I'm wondering if happened to turn off something that is required by
the NRD. I'm still diving deeper to understand how the NRD is connecting to
the NFD by looking into the code base. I was wondering if you happen to
know where I should start looking to expedite the process?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Ivan