[Nfd-dev] Copyright holder section of license boilerplate

Burke, Jeff jburke at remap.UCLA.EDU
Thu Jan 8 08:56:22 PST 2015

An explicit contributor agreement is needed and should address this issue; this question should probably be directed to the PIs responsible for NFD before contacting SFLC since the team is in contact with them on other matters already.

jeff

From: Steve DiBenedetto <dibenede at cs.colostate.edu<mailto:dibenede at cs.colostate.edu>>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 09:48:16 -0700
To: Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu<mailto:shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu>>
Cc: "<nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu<mailto:nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu>>" <nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu<mailto:nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu>>
Subject: Re: [Nfd-dev] Copyright holder section of license boilerplate

I am not a lawyer (...and I'm not sure anyone on this list is).

Junxiao, I can see where you're coming from and agree with what you're trying to achieve. However, I think Alex is right. It sounds like you are trying to enforce an implicit contributor agreement. Implicit is probably a very bad thing when it comes to legal matters.

The safest/best option is to seek legal counsel. A quick email to the SFLC (https://www.softwarefreedom.org) might get us on the right track.

Additionally, we should consider having an explicit contributors agreement. Here are a couple of well known agreement documents:

  Apache: http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
  Selenium (aka mercurial dvcs tool): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11Z8LoYpTGUIwCegifVH1YtL9smxVDNk-fOykUZTAWhE/viewform?formkey=dFFjXzBzM1VwekFlOWFWMjFFRjJMRFE6MQ&hl=en_US

-Steve