[Nfd-dev] Copyright holder section of license boilerplate

Steve DiBenedetto dibenede at cs.colostate.edu
Thu Jan 8 08:48:16 PST 2015

I am not a lawyer (...and I'm not sure anyone on this list is).

Junxiao, I can see where you're coming from and agree with what you're
trying to achieve. However, I think Alex is right. It sounds like you are
trying to enforce an implicit contributor agreement. Implicit is probably a
very bad thing when it comes to legal matters.

The safest/best option is to seek legal counsel. A quick email to the SFLC (
https://www.softwarefreedom.org) might get us on the right track.

Additionally, we should consider having an explicit contributors agreement.
Here are a couple of well known agreement documents:

  Apache: http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
  Selenium (aka mercurial dvcs tool):
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11Z8LoYpTGUIwCegifVH1YtL9smxVDNk-fOykUZTAWhE/viewform?formkey=dFFjXzBzM1VwekFlOWFWMjFFRjJMRFE6MQ&hl=en_US

-Steve