[Nfd-dev] [Ndn-interest] NDN link protocol

Dave Oran (oran) oran at cisco.com
Thu Oct 9 12:38:03 PDT 2014

On Oct 8, 2014, at 9:28 PM, Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Dear folks
>
> If a local area network is using regular Ethernet (learn paths from source MAC address) today, self-learning can work on it.
> Self-learning idea also has been tested on a 16-server fat tree topology.
>
> It's not crazy to multicast every packet.
I beg to differ. Waking up 10,000 hosts on an extended LAN with a data packet when only one of them sent an interest, is, I’m afraid, actually crazy.

> Switches are expected to understand NDN Names and act as NDN forwarders;
good luck with that. No switches I’ve met in the last 10 years have enough memory to keep a PIT.

> at physical layer there's no difference between multicast and unicast.

Also not true for pt-multipoint radios with hidden terminals.
Not to mention the rate minimization pathologies of wireless LANs like 802.11.