[Nfd-dev] Performance Evaluations

Chengyu Fan chengy.fan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 11:36:05 PDT 2014

Hi Giovanni,

As Christos pointed out, I repeated John's experiments last month using the
NFD v0.2.
Thanks to John, his scripts make it pretty convenient to conduct the
performance experiments.
The end of http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/1819 contains the NFD v0.2
performance information.

To make the results clearer, please let me update the results report and
experiment manual first. I'll let you know when it is ready.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Christos Papadopoulos <
christos at cs.colostate.edu> wrote:

> On 10/08/2014 07:51 AM, Giovanni Pau wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> i was asked if we have a bottom line number for NFD in terms of
>> forwarding performance. Did anybody perform experiments?
>>

> This question comes up quite often. Let me add this in addition to the
> Redmine issue pointed by Davide.
>
> We do have such results that you can see in Redmine. John DeHart has done
> some experiments and more recently Chengyu Fan at CSU repeated his
> experiments and did some code profiling.
>
> Chengyu can point you to the profiling results. I don't think those were
> added to Redmine yet, he should add them soon.
>
> One caveat we always emphasize: NFD at this stage is not performance
> optimized. It is optimized to be changed :-) In other words the initial
> emphasis is on modularity, not systematic performance tuning.
>
> I say this because there is a push out there to focus on performance. For
> the PARC people, for example, this is a crucial area.
>
> Lixia makes it a point to strongly emphasize the different focus of the
> two projects (CCN and NDN) when it comes to performance. I think this is
> important.
>
> Christos.
>

>> thanks
>> /g.
>>

>> Giovanni Pau, PhD
>> ==========================
>> "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes
>> touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
>> --Albert Einstein

>> It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment
>> rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened
>> to things.
>>
>> - Leonardo da Vinci

Chengyu