[Nfd-dev] Performance Evaluations

Christos Papadopoulos christos at cs.colostate.edu
Wed Oct 8 10:55:17 PDT 2014

On 10/08/2014 07:51 AM, Giovanni Pau wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> i was asked if we have a bottom line number for NFD in terms of forwarding performance. Did anybody perform experiments?

This question comes up quite often. Let me add this in addition to the
Redmine issue pointed by Davide.

We do have such results that you can see in Redmine. John DeHart has
done some experiments and more recently Chengyu Fan at CSU repeated his
experiments and did some code profiling.

Chengyu can point you to the profiling results. I don't think those were
added to Redmine yet, he should add them soon.

One caveat we always emphasize: NFD at this stage is not performance
optimized. It is optimized to be changed :-) In other words the initial
emphasis is on modularity, not systematic performance tuning.

I say this because there is a push out there to focus on performance.
For the PARC people, for example, this is a crucial area.

Lixia makes it a point to strongly emphasize the different focus of the
two projects (CCN and NDN) when it comes to performance. I think this is
important.

Christos.