[Nfd-dev] Naming conventions (draft 4)

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Mon Jul 28 17:24:52 PDT 2014

On Jul 28, 2014, at 5:13 PM, Davide Pesavento <davide.pesavento at lip6.fr> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Thanks for the new draft.
>
> *) 3.3 suggests using a timestamp as "a simple way to implement
> versioning", which sounds odd to me, why not using the timestamp
> marker 0xFC in such cases then?

For me, version and timestamp has semantical difference.  Timestamp is not necessary a version.  Timestamp could be assigned for different data items in time sequenced collection.  Version is about the same data packet.  Using timestamp marker for version creates semantical ambiguity.

> *) In 3.4, the value for the timestamp is in milliseconds. Can we
> change it to microseconds? Applications that don't need this
> granularity can just append zeros as needed.

I have no objections to refine granularity to microseconds.

> *) In 3.4, typo "cane" -> "can"
>
> *) Why is sequencing a sub-section of timestamping?

an accident.

I have applied the fixes in draft 4: http://redmine.named-data.net/attachments/download/124/convention.pdf

---
Alex