[Nfd-dev] new draft for public announcement

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Sat Aug 23 10:09:10 PDT 2014

Hi everybody,

Please comment on the following public announcement email that we plan to send out on Monday (our official public release date).

Some links on line linked page are currently placeholders, but should not be completely broken (let me know if they are).

---

Dear all,

***
More detailed information about NFD release is available on NDN website:
http://named-data.net/releases/NFD-0.2.0
***

We are pleased to announce the initial public release (version 0.2.0) of NDN Forwarding
Daemon (NFD).  NDN Forwarding Daemon (NFD) is a network forwarder that implements and
evolves together with the Named Data Networking (NDN) protocol.  More details about NFD,
release notes, howtos, FAQ, and other useful resources about NFD are available online on
official NFD's homepage (http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.2.0/).  In addition to that,
NFD's developer guide
(http://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/NFD-developer-guide.pdf) provides
extensive and detailed description of implementation internals and is aimed to help extend
current functionality of the forwarder.

The main design goal of NFD is to support diverse experimentation with NDN architecture.
The design emphasizes **modularity** and **extensibility** to allow easy experiments with
new protocol features, algorithms, and applications.  We have not fully optimized the code
for performance.  The intention is that performance optimizations are one type of
experiments that developers can conduct by trying out different data structures and
different algorithms; over time, better implementations may emerge within the same design
framework.

NFD will keep evolving in three aspects: improvement of the modularity framework, keeping
up with the NDN protocol spec, and addition of new features.  We hope to keep the modular
framework stable and lean, allowing researchers to implement and experiment with various
features of NDN architecture, some of which may eventually work into the protocol
specification.

NFD release is part of the new NDN Platform release version 0.3
(http://named-data.net/releases/platform-0.3), which include the following components:

- NDN Forwarding Daemon (NFD) version 0.2.0
    http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.2.0/

- ndn-cxx library version 0.2.0
    http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.2.0/

    + NDN C++ library with eXperimental eXtensions
    + ndnsec security tools to manage security identities and certificates

- NDN Common Client libraries suite (NDN-CCL) version 0.3
    http://named-data.net/releases/CCL-0.3

    + NDN-CPP: C++ library
    + PyNDN2: Python library
    + NDN-JS: JavaScript library
    + Java library coming soon

- Named Data Link State Routing Protocol (NLSR) version 0.1.0
    http://named-data.net/doc/NLSR/0.1.0/

- Next generation of NDN repository (repo-ng): http://github.com/named-data/repo-ng

- Ping Application For NDN (ndn-tlv-ping) version 0.2.0
    http://github.com/named-data/ndn-tlv-ping

- Traffic Generator For NDN (ndn-traffic-generator) version 0.2.0
    http://github.com/named-data/ndn-traffic-generator

---
NFD Team