[Nfd-dev] Using (some features of) C++11

Davide Pesavento davide.pesavento at lip6.fr
Fri Aug 22 13:27:08 PDT 2014

Hi guys,

Can we start using some pieces of C++11 [1] in v0.3?

Our oldest supported platform, Ubuntu 12.04, comes with gcc-4.6 that
supports quite a few C++11 features already [2]. If we want to keep
compatibility with even older Ubuntu LTS releases, 10.04 (EOL April
2015) comes with gcc-4.4, which still has a few interesting pieces of
C++11 implemented [3], such as rvalue references, "auto" variables,
initializer lists, and so on.

Unless there's opposition to the idea of using C++11 at all, we should
decide the minimum supported version of gcc/clang and come up with a
set of C++11 features that we're allowed to use starting with v0.3 of
ndn-cxx and NFD.

Thanks,
Davide

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B11