[Nfd-dev] Notice about library renaming

Burke, Jeff jburke at remap.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 18 13:34:36 PDT 2014

Alex,

As I've previously mentioned "OpenNDN" isn't particularly descriptive of
the library, and I think is going to lead to a lot of confusion outside.
(It doesn't fix the confusion that arose from calling it ndn-cpp-dev.)

It also seems to set up two parallel library efforts without
distinguishing between the goals.  What are the goals of OpenNDN?  What
makes it Open?  Is the other library Closed?  etc. etc.

I'm really sorry that I haven't been able to make another constructive
suggestion over the course of this week but I would really like to advise
against rushing this change.

One thought:

This library was forked originally to support NFD.  Why not rename it to
libnfd, which is descriptive of what it actually does right now?  This
will need to stay somewhat stable in support of NFD/NRD development,
security library work, etc.

Then, create a separate fork of libnfd with a more general name that
relates to the approach/intent of the library.  If the approach / intent
is not clear, then perhaps a little time should be dedicated to deciding
what the purpose / vision for this particular codebase is?

cheers,
Jeff