[Nfd-dev] Notice about library renaming

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Fri Apr 18 13:28:45 PDT 2014

Hi everybody,

Some of you already aware that we are planning to rename ndn-cpp-dev library.  If there are no objections within 24hours, I will proceed with the renaming.   Here is the plan:

* new name: "OpenNDN"
* folder name for include files: open-ndn
* static library name: libOpenNDN.a
* dynamic library name (when it will be enabled): libOpenNDN.so|dylib
* pkg-config name: libOpenNDN.pc
* no namespace change: we will still use "ndn" as a basic namespace for the library
* official github repository will change to: https://github.com/named-data/OpenNDN
* redmine will change to http://redmine.named-data.net/projects/openndn
* gerrit project name will be changed to OpenNDN (http://gerrit.named-data.net/#/admin/projects/OpenNDN)

We will try to do the change with a transition period, when existing application will still be able to compile against OpenNDN (there will be additional symlinks created for include, lib, and pkg-config files), but all known applications needs to be updated ASAP after the renaming is complete in the following way:

* all includes should be changed from <ndn-cpp-dev/...> to <open-ndn/...>
* documentation files/comments referring to ndn-cpp-dev should be updated and refer to OpenNDN and (if any) new links
* if the app uses pkg-config for dependency detection, 'libndn-cpp-dev' should be replaced with 'libOpenNDN'.  For waf users:

    conf.check_cfg(package = 'libOpenNDN', args = ['--cflags', '--libs'],
                   uselib_store = 'OPEN_NDN', mandatory = True)

(If updating `uselib_store` variable, don't forget to update all uses of it in bld() blocks.)

I will put this note into the library documentation after the rename.

---