[Ndn-interest] Delay forwarding in fw strategy

Klaus Schneider klaus at cs.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 14 08:19:43 PDT 2017

On 07/13/2017 08:47 PM, Adhy Satya wrote:
> Hi Junxiao,
>
> Thank you for your answer. I missed that detail on the NFD developer
> guide (that the strategy controls only Interests packets).
> In my case, each data packet is associated with a unique Interest;
> therefore, by adopting an Interest digest the strategy should be able to
> control Data packets.

You can use the function beforeSatisfyInterest() that is called whenever
a Data packet arrives. Thus you can perform certain actions (like
storing RTT measurements) on each Data packet. You just cannot:

1. Send the Data to a different interface. Or

2. Delay the Data packet.

> Was this feature ever implemented? (it shows as 0%
> done in issue 3333 <https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/3333>). Are
> there any sample implementations?

One could design the strategy so that beforeSatisfyInterest() is a
mandatory step in the pipeline between "incoming Data" and "outgoing
Data". This would extend the functionality and probably support what you
want.

However, the strategy was not designed that way (presumably) because
nobody saw a use case.

For (1): why would anyone want to send the Data to a different face? It
would be dropped there as "unsolicited".

For (2): why do you want to delay the Data inside the strategy? Maybe
there's an easier solution for you like

- delaying Data/Interests at consumer or producer. Or
- delaying the Interests inside the strategy.

Best regards,
Klaus