[Ndn-interest] Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Monthly Newsletter for March 2016

Josh Polterock josh at caida.org
Thu Mar 31 16:51:16 PDT 2016

Named Data Networking (NDN) Project Newsletter for March 2016

The NDN project team compiles and publishes this newsletter monthly
to inform the community about recent activities, technical news,
meetings, publications, presentations, code releases, and upcoming
events. You can find these newsletters posted on the Named Data
Networking Project blog.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH

* On 20-23 March 2016 we held the 2nd NDN Hackathon
  and Project Retreat. We welcomed over 30 participants for the
  Hackathon and over 50 for the Retreat to the University of
  California at San Diego campus in La Jolla, CA.  The retreat
  focused on science applications, technical discussions with a
  focus on NFD development, autoconfiguration IoT over NDN, and
  architectural principles and future collaboration and funding
  opportunities.  For final agenda, slides, and breakout outcomes
  see the web page at http://www.caida.org/workshops/ndn/1603/ .
  For the final list of projects and links to code from the Hackathon,
  see http://2nd-ndn-hackathon.named-data.net/ .

TECHNICAL NEWS

* We released version 0.11 of the the NDN Common Client Library for
  Java (jNDN). You can find code and documentation on the web at
  https://github.com/named-data/jndn . This release adds methods
  to support Name conventions and a bug fix for sending data
  with asyncrhonous TCP.

* We announced the release of version 0.4.1 of Named Data
  Networking Forwarding Daemon (NFD) and ndn-cxx library.

  Please find detailed release notes:
    - NFD: http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.4.1/RELEASE_NOTES.html
    - ndn-cxx library: http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.4.1/RELEASE_NOTES.html

  More details about NFD, source code, install instructions,
  tutorials, HOWTOs, a FAQ and other useful resources are available
  on the official webpages of NFD and ndn-cxx:

    - http://named-data.net/doc/NFD/0.4.1/
    - http://named-data.net/doc/ndn-cxx/0.4.1/

  The latest version of NFD developer's guide revision 6:
    - http://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0021-6-nfd-developer-guide/

  NDN Essential Tools to version 0.3:
    - https://github.com/named-data/ndn-tools

NDN PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS, and TECHNICAL REPORTS

* For links to the most recent presentations and breakout summaries,
  please see the 6th NDN Retreat 2016 web page at
  http://www.caida.org/workshops/ndn/1603/ .

SEMINARS

* Our NDN Seminar series continued in March.  The NDN seminars
  are internally focused. If you would like to participate in the
  NDN Seminars, please contact the new PoC, UCLA PhD. candidate
  Spyridon Mastorakis <Spiros.mastorakis at gmail.com> for the most
  up-to-date information regarding upcoming seminars.

   -  2 March 2016 Susmit Shannigrahi (Colorado State University) "Scientific Data Applications in NDN"
   - 16 March 2016 Ben Murphy (University of Memphis) "Performance measurements of Android devices in NDN"

For more information about the Named Data Networking (NDN) Project
please visit http://www.named-data.net/.