[Ndn-interest] NDN protocol principles: no privacy?

GTS gts at ics.uci.edu
Tue Mar 15 12:09:00 PDT 2016

Sorry, I'm a bit slow to reply:

1) True, PITs are not mandatory, but some form of router state is. (In
order to avoid source addresses
in interests).

2) Encrypted source addresses in interests are fine (I wasn't excluding
them in my statement).
However, who will decrypt them? Routers? Producers? Using what crypto?
If public key, we'd have
an excellent new means of DoS... If symmetric, how are keys
distributed/managed?

3) I believe that router caching enables not having destination
addresses in interests.
But, I'm not even sure what a "destination address" is, broadly speaking.
An interest reflects a content name, for which the corresponding content
might at the producer
(or not yet cached along any sensible path between consumer and
producer). In that case,
a content name is equivalent to a destination address. Otherwise, if the
content is already cached
along some consumer-producer path, we can view the content name (say,
XYZ) in the interest as a
destination address of an *anycast* group XYZ, where a node is a group
member if it caches XYZ.
So, either way, it's a destination address.

Cheers,
Gene

p.s. In case it isn't obvious, (3) is a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Gene Tsudik
Chancellor's Professor of Computer Science
University of California, Irvine