[Ndn-interest] Usefulness of routing protocol?

Lixia Zhang lixia at CS.UCLA.EDU
Sun Jan 17 22:05:58 PST 2016

> On Jan 17, 2016, at 6:23 PM, Syed Hassan Ahmed <s.h.ahmed at ieee.org> wrote:
>
> Dear Dennis,
> cc: Prof. Lixia Zhang and Dr. Alexander
>
> Somehow your question is valid, since we use Broadcasting interface in case of wireless, so eventually the Interest is flooded. For example, Every neighboring node  of consumer C1, overhears the Interest packet, and then has to perform all those basic operations, including PIT, CS, FIB search. Moreover, if there is a case when those neighbors of C1 are not in intra transmission range, may involve in interest forwarding as well. That creates kind of broadcast storm, given that if there is only one provider initially in the network. I have explored this problem in case of vehicular environments, when we tried to simulate CCN on top of 802.11p. For reference, please read my following paper:
>
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=7145392 <http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=7145392>
Dear Syed Hassan,

thanks for your explanation of what happened in your scenario. I am afraid that specific scenario suffered a design defect.
In a all-wireless network (instead of a local wireless hop), one must have an effective way for individual nodes to decide whether it should, or should not, forward each received interest; e.g. see a simple example in this short paper (also on vehicular networking): "Rapid Traffic Information Dissemination Using Named Data" http://named-data.net/publications/nom/ <http://named-data.net/publications/nom/>

If you are interested in this topic (about how to control packet flooding in all-wireless broadcast environment): some sensor networking research work about a decade ago produced a rich set of literatures on this topic,
"Directed Diffusion for Wireless Sensor Networking" (just google it, it has about 3000 citations)
another one: "GRAdient Broadcast: A robust Data Delivery Protocol for Large Scale Sensor Networks"

Lixia