[Ndn-interest] Usefulness of routing protocol?

Lixia Zhang lixia at CS.UCLA.EDU
Sun Jan 17 20:10:37 PST 2016

> On Jan 17, 2016, at 7:22 PM, Dennis Olvany <dennisolvany at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Lixia,
>
> The NDN papers that I have read thus far seem to suggest that a router receives an interest on a given face and then forwards the interest out of its other faces.

could you please point me to those papers?
I am aware of the first paper (published in CoNext 2009) that mentioned about
"A consumer asks for content by broadcasting its interest over all avail- able connectivity. Any node hearing the interest and having data that satisfies it can respond with a Data packet."

1) this is talking about a consumer; 2) a consumer runs a forwarding strategy module that decides what's the best thing to do for each interest (may/may not broadcast)

> My impression is that this occurs at each router in the network until the interest reaches the origin.

that does not match my understanding.

> As the data returns to the client, all routers will learn the path based on the data incoming face. Routers could then cease flooding once there is a known path. Clearly, my understanding may be incorrect as I have only been researching NDN for a week.

Do appreciate that you brought up the question so we can clarify this.
Wonder whether you watched some of the NDN tutorials? e.g. the one at ICN 2014 (you can find it from http://named-data.net/publications/tutorials/ <http://named-data.net/publications/tutorials/>)

Lixia